CASE STILL PENDING

A former Bloomsburg PA radio personality suing television stations, political activists and others over what he says was a smear campaign isn’t happy.

He will not be allowed to keep secret his current work information or the documents he submits to the court, a judge has ruled. 

According to the Press-Enterprise, 30-year-old David Reilly, WHLM 930 AM, sued WBRE (NBC) and WNEP (ABC)  stations last year, along with 15 other defendants.

He said they falsely labeled him “a racist, bigoted Nazi” over his coverage of the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017.

In 2017, Reilly had compiled a musical drone video montage of a torchlight march, then posted it to his personal website.

That video, along with a previous interview of the rally’s organizer on WHLM, ignited protests outside the radio station that ended with Dave Reilly leaving his job at the station, which is owned by his father, Joe Reilly.

The defendants rebutted Reilly’s claims in their court filings, with the television stations saying their reporting on protests outside the radio station’s Main Street studio was accurate and a matter of public concern.  The representatives for the protesters have said their opinions should not be held as defamation.

The lawsuit, filed in March 2018, remains in the discovery or fact-finding stages.

You can read more on the case here.

More News from Tuesday, June 4, 2019